As in my last post, in Genesis again, the 22 chapter, where God test Abraham's faith. God says take your only son, Isaac, to Moriah, and sacrifice him as a burnt offering.
Fast-forwarding five to ten years in my life, I couldn't imagine leading my son/daughter by the hand to a mountain to kill them! When Isaac says in verse 7, "Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?" If I would have gotten that far, that's where I'd be turning around!!! Yet Abraham says only "God will provide..." Can you imagine?! The pain, the tears dwelling inside him as he says those words?!
This is so moving to know Abraham was so close to God, he trusted Him so much, even his only son couldn't stop him from God. Even his own flesh and blood couldn't stand in between their relationship! If the angel had not come down as stopped him, he could have sacrificed his only son!
When I read this I was instantly inspired! What would happen if we became so close to God, nothing could stop us from Him? I know exactly where my weakness is and for the next four weeks I'm going to work on it! I've done this before but not as long. Back in July 2010, I went about 2 or 3 weeks I believe. I posted about it then as well, "Reaching In Every Way" "He's An On-Time God, Yes He Is!" "Catching Up On....LIFE!!!" and kinda sorta "Cell phone addiction!"
This time I have a number of reasons I'm going this for. Not just to break an addiction, although this is a very important factor! This is one of the five I will discuss:
1. I spend a lot of time texting, using the internet, etc. It does get in the way, as much as I don't want to admit it, of spending more time with God. And this is one thing I'm trying to stop! Along with it interfering with my walk with God, It can be something I do when I procrastinate!
2. I'm an awesome procrastinator!!!! THE Queen!!! I can do so many things later, it's unreal!! By talking everything away, I'll have nothing else better to do?? I'll have nothing to distract me or to do when I really just, don't want to do it! Lol!
3. I'm on the edge of....Stepping out!!! I was reading back on some old post and thought about some things I've said/wrote in the past. I've come such a long way of being introverted and that is great! I'm so thankful!!! I really didn't realize how far I'd come. BUT I've got a bit to go! Even this weekend, I amazed myself with something I thought I'd never be able to do and......I DID IT!!! Now let's make sure I can keep it up before I get too excited! :D
4. For the lost. There are over ten people of the top of my heard that I want to see saved! When I stop and think about it, my heart just swells for these people! And every time I turn around there is something that reminds me of the lost people and it hurts so bad just watching them fade away and/or living so miserably!!! Last weekend, I went into a home and to say the least I came out sobbing! The site is so indescribable for me! It hurts to know young kids are growing up in that environment! And don't know any better!!
And just today even! I was driving downtown when a young girl walks right out in front of me with her hands raised as if she were surrendering. She wanted me to hit her! Luckily, thank God, I was able to stop! But she just moved out of my way and walked to the next car. My heart dropped, flash backs began to role, I was very upset! God Bless the broken hearted!!! There has to be a move in our community and the only way to start it is for us to start praying!
5. Along with everything else and one more I won't mention, I want to take my relationship with God a step farther! I want to become as close to God as Abraham! I want to love so hard nothing else could possible get in the way! I just long to be closer to The One True Living God!
So starting Sunday March 13, 2011 - Sunday April 10, 2011, I, Shelby, am going on a four week fast of texting, faacebook, and any personal connections and conversations other than phone calls and blog, I have to express my feelings as I go along my journey! :D
Hi there!
-
So, I know it's been a while...
but I thought I would try this blogging thing again :)
The other day I was going through my emails from around the time tha...
12 years ago

2 comments:
I really admire what you are doing! Maybe I should do the same... I, too, am a procrastinator. Always have been! I believe this is going to make some amazing changes in your life and open your eyes to some things, like your last post said. As always, the youth group is behind you! Go for it :D
Good post! Btw I looked at some of your poems! Girl they're really good!
Post a Comment